login.php?sid=17987ea8d50c44f777d0ef94018f4f6c profile.php?mode=register&sid=17987ea8d50c44f777d0ef94018f4f6c faq.php?sid=17987ea8d50c44f777d0ef94018f4f6c memberlist.php?sid=17987ea8d50c44f777d0ef94018f4f6c search.php?sid=17987ea8d50c44f777d0ef94018f4f6c index.php?sid=17987ea8d50c44f777d0ef94018f4f6c

malasay.com Forum Index » Sports and fitness » WHY KENYANS DOMINATE MARATHONS
  View previous topic :: View next topic 
WHY KENYANS DOMINATE MARATHONS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
shahida1

source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4405082.stm

Why do Kenyans dominate marathons?

Paul Tergat set the marathon world record in Berlin in 2003
The New York City marathon took place in America on Sunday 6 November.

The race was won by Kenya's world record holder for the distance, Paul Tergat.

Yet Kenyan successes are not just restricted to the world's major cities but to marathons all over the planet.

On Sunday, two other Kenyans won marathons - as far afield as Seoul and Athens - and this year alone, Kenyans have won at least 30 marathons.

In fact, 35 of the globe's top 50 road runners are Kenyan according to rankings by athletics' governing body, the IAAF.

But why are Kenyans so dominant at marathon running?

Why are other African nations - Ethiopia, South Africa and Morocco aside - not providing more competition for the Kenyans?

Is it boring that one nation is so dominant in the event?

This debate has now closed. Read a selection of your comments below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As young Kenyans, we ran five kilometres to school every morning. And as children, we saw our parents run to work. We ran to church, to the river, everywhere. To a Kenyan, running is part of our daily lifestyle. Our victories at international events are just proof of this.
Elijah Maanzo, Pretoria, South Africa

It is not boring to see Kenyans dominating the marathon because running is what many Kenyans do all the time. They just love running! I think this is a challenge for other African countries to groom their own athletes to counter the dominance of Kenyans on the track.
Deng Ajak Dut, a Sudanese living in Australia

I guess Kenyans train at a much earlier age and they also see marathons as an avenue to get out of hard economic situations at home.
Alex, Kasese, Uganda

Due to the high rate of unemployment and corruption, many Kenyans have turned to what we call self-employment, and running for money is included in that. While other people all over the world run for fun, Kenyans take it as a profession which makes them practice throughout the year which leads to their dominance of the marathons.
Kisanya Vincent, Nairobi, Kenya

I once had the pleasure of sitting next to the Kenyan Minister for Health at a luncheon in Nairobi and I asked him why Kenyans were winning everything in long distance running. He laughed and replied "It's because we walk everywhere".
Bill Tincey, Perth, Australia

The same question has been posed for the last couple of years although in a different sporting scene. Why does Ferrari dominate Formula One? It wasn't true that F1 was boring when we had this dominance. The rest of the teams just had to up their gears and perform at a much higher level than they were. And now we have Renault and McLaren giving Ferrari a run for their money. Kenyans dominate due to the fact that their ability to endure punishment on the track has been finely developed during many hours of training in high altitude rift valley. I am sure there are many places of high altitude in the world that the aspiring challengers can go to train. They are also welcome in Kenya to use our facilities. But whatever they do they must up the preparation in order to provide formidable challenge to the Kenyans.
Stanley Ngaira, a Kenyan living in Denmark

''... O mankind! Your rebellion is against your own selves,...'' (Quran 10:23)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Well, I think we are letting Kenya win on purpose cuz we are being good neighbors. But just don't forget we started bringing them gold medals first
http://www.ethiopians.com/Athletes.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:25 am Reply with quote
shahida1

^^ *yawn* i think its more of a case of the student became better than the teacher Wink
but do we say?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

shahida1 wrote:
^^ *yawn* i think its more of a case of the student became better than the teacher Wink
but do we say?

The lesson ain't over, student. You live and learn Cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
shahida1

Rolling Eyes

[hehe i jus replied to get my post count up Razz ]
but since i came all the way anyway i might as well say something Razz
i must say though i really admire the lil fellow i think his names Bekele , i mean after all that he has been thru, (losing his teen fiancee or something) and still managed to beat the Kenyan champs (hey they let him win out of sympathy Razz ) and has maintained a so far unbeaten record [he better retire soon coz da days of glory will soon be over at da hands (or should i say feet) of kenyans, and leave his lil bro to do the remaining running].

hehe, i guess i better drop the topic now lest some coffee crazed athlete gets ....

WHY KENYANS DOMINATE MARATHONS
malasay.com Forum Index » Sports and fitness