login.php?sid=36d3806e5f8c26f208da21dadc518a80 profile.php?mode=register&sid=36d3806e5f8c26f208da21dadc518a80 faq.php?sid=36d3806e5f8c26f208da21dadc518a80 memberlist.php?sid=36d3806e5f8c26f208da21dadc518a80 search.php?sid=36d3806e5f8c26f208da21dadc518a80 index.php?sid=36d3806e5f8c26f208da21dadc518a80

malasay.com Forum Index » General Discussions » 1980's Goto page 1, 2  Next
  View previous topic :: View next topic 
1980's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
gishta

Ilalami wrote

"Assalamu Aleykum All,

First and most I would like to thank Malasay (M.H.Duri) truly a proud legacy carrier for introducing and bringing to our attention the forgotten or neglected Korome Hararis on the world wide web. This is my first time to hear about Korome, however I?m not new to the lively conditions of the people since I grew up in a small town and visited several farming - villages and shared their life experience as a kid and a young teenager. These may not be Hararis but poor and disadvantaged people as Korome.

If I may remind some of us at least I know 60 or more Hararis during our refugee life journey in 1982 - 1983 that we came across challenges through refugee camps in Somalia (Biya hiren) and the Mogadishu concentration camp of Shallambood. Does any one remember at Shallambood where we used the only one cooking pot for over 50 of us just to cook the rice full of worms (we called them our protein) for our meal and fight over it eating with our bare hand with no concern to burns the food as hot as 80degrees Celsius . In 1983 I never forget one day it was my turn cooking, collected fire wood from the bushes, started the fire, inhaled the smoke until I was chalked and almost fainted due to lack knowledge in cooking and finally when the rice was done within seconds disappeared before my eyes among a group of 15. I?m sure there are so many stories in Djebuti some of you who slept on card boxes on street, harassed by authorities and beaten. I also remember the day I didn?t eat all day and rescued by my Somali neighbors in Camp Biya Hiren. After their discovery of me and my room mates situation they helped us for a month three times a day meal we never expected.

We came over those tough challenges with the help of one way or another from family, friends, UNHCR and sponsoring countries government assistance and mange to migrate to North America to live the better life we enjoy today. Without those help our life would not be the same.

For our people such us Korome the tough challenging life may seem the norm until they test what normal life would be and I hope we can make some changes to better their situation with the help of Allah Almighty and establishing our strength through our Harari Organizations and with the help of our Harari StateGovernment.

Tears, rage and blaming our government alone doesn?t help. However raising our concern and as Malasay spelled out ?We need to be connected to Harari affairs no matter where the location is, and we should be willing to put our money where our heart is ... and this need to be done in an organized and transparent manner? is the best way to go.

? Wherever we are the first step I think we should do is to go and register as a full member and participant in our Harari Community Organizations.
? Where there isn?t organization then establish one. I also believe Establishing Charitable Organizations will help connecting with other various charitable organizations and learn how they get sponsors and help people in other countries.
? To give you a simple example, does any one remember back in the early 60s and early 70s the American Peace Corp teachers? http://www.ethiopiaeritrearpcvs.org/pages/posts/bigmap.html These people were foreign teachers in Ethiopia and now established charitable organization and helping in Ethiopia. Does any one from Harar recognize these teachers? http://www.ethiopiaeritrearpcvs.org/pages/posts/ethiopia/harar.html . The only reason why I mention this is just to show how even foreigners who were just there for a couple of years cared and started helping our people.
? Lastly I would like to mention one comment made by our former Harari President His Excellency Fuad Ibrahim with respect to their expectations from Hararis Diaspora during the LA meeting in 2005. ?If you are not very well organized as a community here I doubt you will be able to help us back home? also ? We sacrifice our life over there for our rights freedom and democracy, we need your organized effort and support to help us abroad? . Also our X. Mayer His Hon. Zaidan Bakri was strongly urging us to establish a sustainable Harari organizations every where in NA. I strongly believe the first thing to do is join our Harari Organizations in our area, help them get strong, participate actively as much as we can, invest our knowledge, time and financial resource in them to achieve their goals. Help them with all creative ideas of short term and long term plans. Most of all respect our leaders and give them all the moral support they need and deserve to effectively execute their objectives.

I believe Unity is Strength and with the help of ?Allah ?Almighty? we can make a difference.

Once again Thanks to Malasy (Br.M.H.Duri).

Wasalm,

Ilalami, "
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
gishta

dear Ilalami

Thank you for sharing history.

I believe, the immigrants of the 80's contributed a lot to Harar sustainment and development. Despite all the sufferings our brothers and sisters indured at the time, they all helped families and friends back home. Most sacrificed personnal developments for such causes. A friend told me that she used to skip meals when she made calls to Ethiopia. Calls were not as cheap then. The families at home managed to use the money from the immigrants to put food on the nedeba, to fix homes, establish business, and to some, to dress cool. These same brave people paved the road for more people to come to establised homes. Brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, friends, husbands, wives and friends of friends followed. A lot of money is spend for transportation and visa process. Alhamdu Lillah, the generation has adopted well, and most are rasing the first generation foreign children. Your contribution to our society should be commomerated.

What are your thoughts?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Ilalami

gishta wrote:
dear Ilalami

Thank you for sharing history.

I believe, the immigrants of the 80's contributed a lot to Harar sustainment and development. Despite all the sufferings our brothers and sisters indured at the time, they all helped families and friends back home. Most sacrificed personnal developments for such causes. A friend told me that she used to skip meals when she made calls to Ethiopia. Calls were not as cheap then. The families at home managed to use the money from the immigrants to put food on the nedeba, to fix homes, establish business, and to some, to dress cool. These same brave people paved the road for more people to come to establised homes. Brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, friends, husbands, wives and friends of friends followed. A lot of money is spend for transportation and visa process. Alhamdu Lillah, the generation has adopted well, and most are rasing the first generation foreign children. Your contribution to our society should be commomerated.

What are your thoughts?

Dear gishta,

Thanks for the pat on the shoulder and carrying this discussion one step further. I?m very touched by your points and worth to mention. All what you have mentioned is true and still I consider that has been part of our individual moral obligation and responsibility and we continue to do so as long as Allah keep us healthy and live longer. Also I like to mention that collectively Hararis helped in many areas such as Water project, Rebuilding Madrasas and Sponsoring orphans and may be many more for back home.

As for commemorating, I would suggest collecting various such stories from our brothers and sisters from the 1980?s and propose to annual HSCF cultural show event organizers to create a good drama to be played by Harari foreign Youth Group. This will allow them to understand how we Hararis get here (Harari migration), and it would be fun to watch our time sitting and played by our new generation and I hope they will love it. I?m not sure if this was played in any hosting country and may be a good idea to try it.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Ilalami
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
ahaa
Site Admin

Ilalami

what a memory thank you for sharing your refugee life. Now we have to work together not to be refugees our brothers and sister from back home. let us creat tactic and strategi how to prevent people to leave harar and how to make people to return to harar. let us think about this. Some one came with proposal to help hararis awauy from harar and unemployed to assist him/her for one year untill he/she gets a job and independent and we continue the next one and next etc. This is very hard task but it is duable need to creat organization. what do you think

A.Adus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
gishta

Ilalami,

Yes, I think play would be perfect to maintain historic facts. There can even be series made from the experiences of so many. You should definitely work on that. Maybe you should start on autobiography. Maybe the youth group or can work on it for the next festival.

Malasay, are you working on a documentary regarding this issue?

Ahaa,
Sounds like Marcus Garvey's back to Africa movement Smile The proposal you mentioned on helping hararis away from harar sounds good. Is it to help people to move back?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
ahaa
Site Admin

Hi gishta

Yes I mean hararis in ethiopia resides away from harar and unemployed is target it is the oportunity to attract them to go back to harar and build thier life. we can make the population of hararis in harar high at the same time good for the economy too.

A.Adus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ilalami

ahaa wrote:
Ilalami

what a memory thank you for sharing your refugee life. Now we have to work together not to be refugees our brothers and sister from back home. let us creat tactic and strategi how to prevent people to leave harar and how to make people to return to harar. let us think about this. Some one came with proposal to help hararis awauy from harar and unemployed to assist him/her for one year untill he/she gets a job and independent and we continue the next one and next etc. This is very hard task but it is duable need to creat organization. what do you think

A.Adus

Hi Br. ahaa,

You reminded me of the 2005 LA conference, part of the discussion where His. Hon. Mayor Zaidan was urging our community Diaspora to seriously consider returning back home and invest in development and job creation. I think if I get your Idea correctly you are indicating on the same line and here is what I think.

You wrote ?let us creat tactic and strategi how to prevent people to leave Harar and how to make people to return to Harar?.
Your Idea is very good, and I think supporting the people with their education, trade skills and job creation is the key to resolve the migration and how to achieve that needs a very strong organization with the help of the local government, NGO and International Organizations. I know many of our people helped their immediate family and still continue to do so.
A couple years a go I read ?Reversing the Brain Drain? and International Migration Organization(IMO) articles and found interesting to see the complexity of such issues and what attempts have been made by IMO to get them back to Ethiopia those professionally needed.
Please visit these URL and see http://chora.virtualave.net/brain-drain8.htm
?Keeping Highly Skilled Persons in Ethiopia? & ?Back to Ethiopia? Not Likely?
And also the workshop by IMO http://www.iom.int/en/archive/pbn020404.shtml#item3 under article.
Ethiopia - Leveraging Diaspora Skills and Remittances for Development

? Gishta wrote ?The families at home managed to use the money from the immigrants to put food on the nedeba, to fix homes, establish business, and to some, to dress cool.? One of an excellent point from this is to establish business which I believe not only helps food on one ndedeba, but also from the growing business for more families employment and feed others and so on. So teaching how to invest the delivered assistance is one way to keep our people from leaving the country.
? If there are still brothers and sisters around the boarder countries stranded, it is a good Idea to discuss how to help their situation and encourage them to go back home.
? For those who are loaded and can invest in development and help create jobs our Harar needs them desperately,
? If there are very important professionals and skilled people that our beloved Harar needs them, for those still there to stay put and for Diaspora consider returning and off course Idon't mean to leave your family behind.

gishta,

Thanks for your input and I think I?ll discuss seriously with some of my friends and see what they think about that.

Cheers,
Ilalami
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
gishta

Ahaa,

Thanks for clarification.

Yes, It is great idea to help each other in times of need. So do you know of places people can turn in to for help? or is it in process of devlopment?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote
ahaa
Site Admin

gishta

Yes the idea is great. but no one has started it. It is just proposal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
ahaa
Site Admin

Ilalami

The idea is first needed to start in site ethiopia. Hararis away from harar city how can we make them to return to harar. Other task is the tough one hararis in diaspor to return to harar.

If project started to remigrate hararis inside ethiopia away from harar, how and when that is up the orgnizer's strategi and tactic. that is what i mean

A.Adus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Ilalami

ahaa wrote:
Ilalami

The idea is first needed to start in site ethiopia. Hararis away from harar city how can we make them to return to harar. Other task is the tough one hararis in diaspor to return to harar.

If project started to remigrate hararis inside ethiopia away from harar, how and when that is up the orgnizer's strategi and tactic. that is what i mean

A.Adus

I think the major key players to this would be the local government that knows deep down the core of the problem and NGOs. Approaching and encouraging business people where they are needed the most, to invest and create jobs and then the rest is easy to tackle. I?m sure they have been trying to encourage hararis to come home and invest and we were able to understand that from their call upon us to return last year.

We have very rich business corporations largely in Addis and if they got together they would change the image and people would be attracted to go back. I hear people are investing and it is a good sign. They can bring hope to revive the nation.

Cheers,

Ilalami
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
ahaa
Site Admin

Yes ilalami
the local government and NGO responsible to assist hararis from other city to inviest in harar and migrate. however the unemployed hararis a way from harar city need something to go back to harar. My suggestion is while the local gov and NGO encorage the investors to remigrate to harar, we hararis from diaspra can assist the unemployed hararis to remigrate to harar. how if we offer start with one or tow families helping them for one year ther daily bread while they look for job in harar. after one year with thier own will find way to survive. and we continue next family same way if this strategie works I think it is hard but it is duable need sucrifice and dedication.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
Ilalami

ahaa wrote:
Yes ilalami
the local government and NGO responsible to assist hararis from other city to inviest in harar and migrate. however the unemployed hararis a way from harar city need something to go back to harar. My suggestion is while the local gov and NGO encorage the investors to remigrate to harar, we hararis from diaspra can assist the unemployed hararis to remigrate to harar. how if we offer start with one or tow families helping them for one year ther daily bread while they look for job in harar. after one year with thier own will find way to survive. and we continue next family same way if this strategie works I think it is hard but it is duable need sucrifice and dedication.

Ahaa,

Are you suggesting create ?Mini Manpower?, similar to the one that helped us when we arrived NA, providing food, shelter, transportation, education and employment assistances. Don?t you think this would be best to be created locally under the government monitored Organization and for financial matters Harari Organizations Diaspora could do their share? I would focus locally to do these things than establishing a new organization in NA. It is just the matter of being well organized and transparency to attract doners.

Cheers,
Ilalami
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
ahaa
Site Admin

Illami

It doesn't mateer creating mini organization or work with existing organization. The bottom line is to moblize dedicated people for this cause if possible. I agree with you that local government in Harar should play very big role in this matter assisting this people to get job and shelter in much fast as possible inorder to resetle them. Well the ball is on the air let us kick it and see what we can do about it.

A.Adus

Ilalami wrote:
ahaa wrote:
Yes ilalami

Ahaa,

Are you suggesting create ?Mini Manpower?, similar to the one that helped us when we arrived NA, providing food, shelter, transportation, education and employment assistances. Don?t you think this would be best to be created locally under the government monitored Organization and for financial matters Harari Organizations Diaspora could do their share? I would focus locally to do these things than establishing a new organization in NA. It is just the matter of being well organized and transparency to attract doners.

Cheers,
Ilalami

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Biraq UL Harar

There was a drama in Toronto, Canada in 1994 (Shual end celebration) about Refuge life specially in Somalia, Harari Mothers life during EPRP (Ehapa), and Harari youth life.

Many Toronto Hararians have copy of the tape, which was distributed for free. Curtsy of HRM..........

Biraq
Arrow
1980's
malasay.com Forum Index » General Discussions