login.php?sid=caa856c8c3ada2661b0d0dbddf93d9f3 profile.php?mode=register&sid=caa856c8c3ada2661b0d0dbddf93d9f3 faq.php?sid=caa856c8c3ada2661b0d0dbddf93d9f3 memberlist.php?sid=caa856c8c3ada2661b0d0dbddf93d9f3 search.php?sid=caa856c8c3ada2661b0d0dbddf93d9f3 index.php?sid=caa856c8c3ada2661b0d0dbddf93d9f3

malasay.com Forum Index » Al Harari in Ethiopia » Journey to Harar - 2006 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

This is not the analysis. It is just another log.

While in Harar I met my mom?s side of the family that I had not known or met before. I suppose the product of my living like a nomad, moving from place to place since childhood.

My mom?s family name is known as ?shaikh,? or ?shaikhach? in its plural form ? as in Fatuma Bahar Shaikh. My mom has one brother and one sister, and thus I assumed that side of my family was small in number. However, this trip changed all that. I learned that my mom?s side of family constituted hundreds of thousands of people, and of course Farhan Idris? posting on this issue came to mind when i learned this fact.

Shaikhach are descendants of Aw Abadir. His descendants were sent to different parts of the nation to teach religion. Some were sent to Somali regions, some to Oromo regions, and the others stayed in Harar. Our family descends from those that stayed in Harar.

Therefore, shaikhach could be found among Somalis, Oromos, and Hararis. All descendants of Aw Abadir - the Shaikh of Harar. And all the Shaikhach view Harar as their spiritual center ? whether their native tongue is Harari, Oromo, or Somali.

I met some of my relatives during my zagan in Harar, and that opened even more doors to meet the other relatives I had not known existed. I met brothers Mubarak, Hassan, and Ahmed who are from Somali Shaikhach and we had a very fruitful discussion about our clan, Shaikh Abadir, and Harar. We pledged to strengthen the relationship among the Harari and Somali Shaikhach ? who are branches of the same tree.

Last edited by malasay on Sun May 14, 2006 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

My Analysis of Conditions in Ethiopia

In my way to Ethiopia, I spent couple of days in Washington, DC. Listening to the Amharic radio programs that were being aired in DC in late January, one would have been lead to believe that the sky was about to fall over in Ethiopia. However, my three-month trip to Ethiopia dispelled all the unfounded rumors of disturbances and murmurs of popular uprisings. There is peace, vibrant democratic process, and economic development underway in Ethiopia. God willing, the democratic process in Ethiopia is irreversible. Ethiopia will be better served if some people lose their nostalgia about going back in time and having one ethnic group dominate the whole of Ethiopia under the banner of ?unity,? ?one Ethiopia,? etc. Insha?Allah that time will never come back.

However, if parties that espouse such dream are ever to ascend to power through peaceful means or otherwise, I have no doubt that Ethiopia will break into many pieces. The nations and nationalities that are enjoying self-rule, democracy and freedom will not readily accept shackles being placed on their necks once more in the name of hallow slogans such as ?unity,? etc etc. Most will resist, and some will opt to secede from the union by peaceful means if possible, or by force if not. Welcome to bloody conflicts and Yugoslavian type of civil war and Ethnic cleansings.

The Federal army consists of people from the various regional states depending on the quota allocated to them. They all have armed people. Just like they did in Yugoslavia. And as the Harari proverb goes ?When the wind comes, all rush to cover their own eyes.? This is to say; when trouble brews all will be fending for themselves.

I have been to the Somali Regional State. I have spoken to several people there, and they all say in one voice ? if kinijit or other parties that espouses similar philosophy ever comes to power in Ethiopia that they will secede from the Federation. I believe them. They will secede.

It is no secret that certain segment of our Somali and Oromo brethrens aspires for even more loser federation than Ethiopia is currently offering, with some going as far as wanting independence. There is no way to reconcile the wishes of the later people with that of the kinijit?s. However, the current federalism system can satisfy the wishes of the majority of the Somali and Oromo people by giving them opportunity to work in their language, to celebrate and advance their culture, and to honor their heroes.

Therefore, I urge all peace loving Ethiopians to think twice about supporting any party that wants to do away with the Federalism system that we currently have. We should avoid emotions and analyze the facts in the ground carefully. We should not be duped or bamboozled by individuals and parties that time has forsaken. Ethiopia is a poor nation and cannot afford chaos and turbulences. Let?s all work for peace, tranquility, and economic development in that troubled nation of ours, and the first step to achieving this is to respect and love all our fellow country people deep within our heart.

Yes, Ethiopia is a multi-ethnic, multi-lingual, and multi-religious nation. These differences of ours add to the beauty of the nation, and should not be a point of consternation. Multiculturalism adds a flavor, and spices-up the nation by bringing different perspectives and ideas to solving the challenges that the nation might face.

However, for narrow-minded politicians and parties the above-mentioned differences of ours are tools to be exploited to enrage our emotions, and to cause rift among brothers and sisters. How else can one explain the effort that was being exerted by Kinijit to economically isolate our Tigre brethrens in Ethiopia? In the minds of such chauvinistic thinkers, there are no differences among the Tigres. For them they are all enemies of Ethiopia that need to be dealt with. These enemies of peace spew incendiary words, and throw oil on fire just to advance their own agenda and grab power by hook or by crook.

All peace and justice loving Ethiopians should resist and avoid alienating and stereotyping one another in such despicable manner, and we should not be tools for the true enemies of Ethiopia who cause rift amongst her children, and thrive in their strife.

The enemies of Ethiopia who were hoping chaos would ensue in Ethiopia after the election are disappointed that the people have not risen-up as they wanted them to. Ethiopia is peaceful. People go to and from their work place in peace and tranquility, albeit few explosions every now and then. These explosions are like messages being sent to show that the opposition is alive and kicking. However, these cowardly acts are no substitute for popular uprisings that the chauvinists were/are praying for.

The Ethiopian people know better, and the dreamed of popular uprising just ain?t gonna happen over the instigation of these chauvinistic group of people. What the majority of Ethiopians wants is a party that celebrates and acknowledges the beautiful multiculturalism of Ethiopia. That Ethiopia is there now and is prospering.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

My analysis of conditions in Harar, as well as critique of Harari communities outside of Harar insha'Allah will be my next posting. I have also started posting pictures to go along my travel journal. Insha'Allah i'll also put pictures of Korome soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Where We Were

Hararis as a people we have come along way. It is a miracle that we are still in existence despite the repeated and numerous efforts of our enemies to annihilate us. From the time of the conquest of Harar by Emperor Menelik in 1887 up to the time of Col. Mengistu in 1991 Hararis have faced various degrees of subjugations, oppressions and systematic effort to destroy us. However, by the grace of the Almighty we have survived with our heads still held high.

The oppressions against the Harari people have taken many forms. It varied from the blatant and aggressive war of Menelik on our people at Chelenqo to systematic and oppressive efforts of Haile Selasi and Mengistu to rid Harar of Hararis. Haile Selasi conspired a 10 years plan for ridding of 1000 Hararis per year from Harar, and thereby greatly diminishing the influence of Hararis in that region. Business and job opportunities were closed to Hararis in Harar, while it was made readily available to them outside of the region.

Mengistu continued with similar policy of uprooting Hararis from Harar systematically. Time will not allow me to go in detail on this subject matter at the moment. However, these basic facts should be known by all Hararis no matter where they are, particularly by the younger generation in the diaspora. It is essential to know where we were and where we are, in order to devise a plan as to where we want to head as a people.

We are products of more than a century of subjugation and oppression by our enemies, and of struggle and resistance in our part. There was no time in our history wherein we have submitted to those who sought to oppress us. Whether it is the Firmach, Kulub, Wataniya, the 1964 movement, Somali War, or our involvement in the EPRP ? it has always been a part of our struggle and resistance against subjugation and oppression, and our will to survive as free people. I believe all Harari socio-political movements should be seen through these prisms.

Where We are Now

The oppression that the Hararis faced in Ethiopia was not directed exclusively at us. The other nations and nationalities that lived in Ethiopia also faced the same fate; whether it is our Oromo brethrens, Somalis, Tigres, Amharas, Gurages, etc. As a result all of Ethiopia?s nations and nationalities were in constant struggle in various degrees to rid themselves from the oppressive systems that was favoring the few elitist ruling class at the expense of the majority. This struggle came to fruition with the victorious march of the EPRDF to Addis Ababa on May 28, 1991.

After its victory, the EPRDF implemented Ethnic Federalism, wherein the rights of various ethnic groups in Ethiopia would be respected. The nations and nationalities that make up Ethiopia were given the right and freedom to use their languages, celebrate and promote their history, and advance and develop their languages.

The Harari people also made the rightful demand to have self-rule in their region. However, the case of the Hararis was complicated due to the changed demography. The majority in the Harari region are Amharas due to the systematic oppression of the previous regimes on the Harari people as mentioned above.

It is for this reason that the Hararis, under the wise leadership of Mohammed Abdurahman, argued in the Ethiopian parliament and managed to have affirmative action policies be implemented in the Harari Regional State. Affirmative action policies are set of public policies and initiatives designed to help eliminate past and present discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. If any people in this world deserve to have affirmative action policies implemented on their behalf due to past oppression and discrimination that they have faced, the Harari people should rank among the top of the list.

Currently the Harari Regional State Council has 36 seats. Fourteen (14) seats are reserved for Hararis and 4 seats are up for grab within the Jogol, while the remaining 18 seats are available for competition. The presidency and some other key posts are also reserved for Hararis under the affirmative action policy.

However, as one can see even this arrangement does not give a great leeway for Hararis to implement policies that can affectively redress the past grievances since the council is equally divided between Hararis and non-Hararis. Moreover, to have impartial and fair governance all residents of the Harari Regional State should be and are served equitably without discrimination based on ethnic or religious backgrounds. And it is for this very reason that Harar was singled out to receive the 2002-2003 UNESCO?s cities for peace prize.

According to UNESCO?s website, the UNESCO?s Cities for Peace Prize recognizes municipalities that are strengthening social cohesion, improving living condition in disadvantaged neighbourhoods and developing genuine urban harmony and diversity.

There are reasons why I am mentioning all this. I will explain further when I get to the Hararis in the Diaspora section below.

Where are we Heading?

We have come a long way from being an oppressed and silenced people, to having freedom and a say in our destiny. From where we use to be prevented from holding menial jobs in the past, to holding the highest offices in the Harari Regional State. From the security forces being used to intimidate and oppress our people, to having our people serving on those very same security forces. Therefore, I don?t believe the fact that there has been a great stride for the betterment of our conditions as a people should be under question.

The main questions that we need to entertain at the moment are - where are we heading as a people? What should be our contribution to the Harari cause individually, as well as collectively?

At the moment Hararis are still migrating out of Harar at an alarming rate. The opportunity for growth and advancement ? whether it is in education or financially does not seem to be as attractive in Harar when compared with opportunities available in Addis or the West.

I met a family that moved from Harar to Addis recently, and I asked them why they opted to move? They explained that they have young children, and that the education system in Harar was not as competitive. As I have mentioned in my earlier logs, the schools in Harar are greatly under funded, and they are in serious need of well-paid and quality instructors, as well as physical repairs to the structures.

Subsequently, I have also met several others in Harar who hold the very same view, which is that they are considering moving out of Harar because the quality of educational is substandard. How can one argue against such reasoning? After all don?t we all want the very best for our children? If quality education is not available in Harar, it is natural for people to seek it elsewhere.

One has to wonder, how have we as a people gotten to such a regrettable stage? Why cannot we finance our own schools, or at least even the schools we have attended? In the West we see people making great contribution to their alma mater. Some make monthly contributions, others donate large sums of money at one time, while others contribute computers or other materials. To see an example of fund raising for alma maters in Kentucky please click the following link: http://www.kentuckychallenge.org

Let alone in the West, there are others in Ethiopia who has not forgotten the schools that they have attended. One time a friend of mine asked me to edit a videotape for him of a school in Tigray. The name of the school was Atse Yohannes High School, and I was told the video was needed for fundraising purposes. I obliged. I eventually learned that the alumni of that school were able to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for their school. Please do see their webpage, and let?s take a great lesson from our brethrens.

This is the main page for the school
http://www.atseyohannes.org

And this is about a successful project that they did of building restrooms for the school
http://www.atseyohannes.org/Development/Project2.htm

Instead of us, the Harari people, getting our hands dirty and doing things for ourselves, it seems we have gotten comfortable with our wealthy segment of the population taking care of such issues for us. In the past, it was Hajj Ture (may the Lord rest his soul in peace), who financed the Abadir School in Harar, and currently it is Hajj Abdusamed Gato ? while the rest of us sit back and fiddle. This has got to change.

In my humble view - it is a thousand times better and sweeter if we all come together and contribute a little bit to change the poor conditions of the schools in Harar. This serves several purposes, among which are the following:

1. It connects us and our families to Harar
2. We get to help our people in Harar
3. Gives incentive for Hararis to stay in Harar by improving the quality of education
4. And most of all we get rewards for it in the hereafter

Some might ask why is the Harari Regional State not doing something about this? This was one of the reasons why I got into the detail of how the Harari Regional State works, and how the council is divided. The Harari Regional State is not wealthy, and there are many competing interests to address. Bring into this the demographic issue, and I hope you get the picture. Moreover, schools such as Abadir are private schools and as such cannot receive funding from the government. If the schools are to be government owned there will be limits on what sort of subjects they can and cannot offer. Therefore, to maintain their educational freedom it is better that the schools maintain their independence, while the Harari public steps in to support our crumbling education system.

I have videotape of the Principle of Abadir School, as well as the instructors making an appeal for assistance, along with ways we can help. Also, Shaikh Abubaker school is constructing a waqf, wherein they can have continuous source of income once this project is completed. They are also appealing for assistance from the Harari public. Insha?Allah I?ll post more information, as well as video taped messages from the school?s committee on the schools section of this forum soon.

In my humble opinion, this is not something we should debate about on whether we need to do something or not. I believe it is our obligation and a duty that we owe to Harar and our people. We must step up to the challenge and meet the challenge effectively. Failure to do so has far reaching consequences, which might end up being the successful completion of the systematic plan that was devised by the previous oppressive regimes to eliminate Hararis from Harar. That is a scenario that we must not allow to happen - beizni'Allah.

Therefore, dear reader, what I am trying to say is ?. this is all about you. I know we have all contributed to Harari causes in various degrees. However, no matter how much we did in the past is not sufficient enough, since the needs in Harar are still great. I want you to leave everybody else out of this equation, and rather focus on what are you willing to do as an individual for your nation and for your people? How long can we sit aside and watch events unfolding all around us? How long can we remain spectators in our own game? We should all know that each one of us are important segment of the population, and every action that we take can reverberate and have dramatic affect in our society.

The time for action to shape the future of Harar and Hararis by transforming its educational capacity is now. If we all work together, Harar has the capacity to become a torchbearer for spreading knowledge in the horn of Africa once again.

The same scenario holds true when it comes to the economic viability of the Harari population living in Harar. Due to stagnant economic conditions in Harar, many are opting to leave Harar for greener pastures elsewhere. We need to take a closer look at this issue, and work to insure that families that live in Harar have the proper opportunity to advance economically as well. Those of us in the diaspora can invest in Harar either collectively or as individuals and contribute to sustainability of peaceful and productive life for our people in Harar. Our continuation as a people depends on having a stable and productive Harar with sizeable Harari population.

I believe Harar will be a very important commercial center once again, and a very attractive place to invest on. With the completion of the construction of the highway between Harar and Jigjiga within a year or so, the flow of trade and movement of people will be enhanced manifolds, creating opportunities for investment in diverse fields. I believe we can achieve a degree of financial success for ourselves by investing individually in Harar, while advancing the economy of Harar at the same time. However, if we want to achieve a more dramatic and effective outcome, I believe we would have to establish a strong Harari investment firm. Imagine 1000 of us investing $1000 USD each. That could easily translate into a million dollar company. Imagine what we can accomplish if 5000 of us joined such a firm by purchasing 1000 USD shares each. Just imagine the difference we can make for both Harar, as well as in the lives of our fellow Hararis there? What we need to do to make such ventures a reality is establish trust amongst ourselves, and work in a professional and transparent ways. If we put our minds and hearts into it ? have no doubt ? we can achieve much more than this.

I am not suggesting that there is only one way of doing things. There are many other ways. However, no matter what it is - we need to get into action soon. Time will not stand still and wait for us. We need to be organized and take concrete actions before Harar is emptied of its people, which would be very ironic if it happened when we are administering the region. We need to stop expecting everything from the government, and become responsible citizens who are capable of shouldering responsibilities. As John F. Kennedy said during his inaugural address in 1961 ?ask not what your country can do for you ? ask what you can do for your country.?

This statement holds true to Hararis, as it holds true to Americans or any other people. However, I believe there is more urgency in our case to act, perhaps more so, than any other people on this planet.

To Be Continuied ...

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ? Japanese proverb

Hararis in the Diaspora

To my dear Harari brothers and sisters in the diaspora;

Politics, economics, education, family or the combination thereof can be the reason why we left our country, and residing in foreign lands thousands of miles away. Some of us dream of going back to our home of origin someday, while some of us have adopted our current residence as our permanent home with no plan of ever moving back.

However, no matter which category among the two we belong to, one thing we must never forget is who we are. We are descendants of noble people with rich history. We are descendants of eminent scholars, great statesmen, and gallant malasay warriors. We must know and appreciate our history if we want to continue as a people. We must pen them down for our sake and that of our posterity, or else we might be relegated into a dustbin of history.

It is only when we know who we are and assert our selfhood that we can rise up to any challenge we might face both as individuals and a people. It is like brother Malcolm said:

A race of people is like an individual man; until it uses its own talent, takes pride in its own history, expresses its own culture, affirms its own selfhood it can never fulfill itself

Those of us who live in the west must realize that we face an uphill challenge when it comes to safeguarding our identity. We live in societies where our young ones can be completely assimilated and feel alien to their own culture due to the perception of the superiority of the society they currently live in. They are constantly bombarded by subtle messages over television and movies that Africa is a continent of backward barbarians who are uneducated, cannot feed themselves, and swing from tree to tree naked or semi naked. Weren?t those the exact motives for movies such as Tarzan , Black Hawk Down , Out of Africa , and many many more? If you would like to read in-depth article about the racist natures of movies such as Tarzan, please click here .

Such movies coupled with constant negative news being reported from Africa engrain self-doubt and feelings of inferiority in the minds of our young ones who are not fully aware of their Harari and African heritage, and thus causes them to shun it subconsciously. Realistically, who would want to be associated with such negativities? If one was made to believe that he/she was a descendant of backward people who have accomplished nothing at all, it would be very difficult for that person to preserve his/her heritage. This is the reality that our young ones are facing in the west. We can clearly see the end results of being stripped of ones identity and heritage from the experience of our African American brethrens who have endured one of the most brutal forms of oppression. Substantial portion of the African American population have succumbed to the racist institutions and has forgotten who they are or where they came from. These lack of self-knowledge and identity brought with it severe negative consequences to the community, which includes lack of motivation, poverty, self-loath, broken families, drug abuse, high crime rates ? to be specific - high black-on-black crime rates, and many other social ills.

I believe there are great lessons we can learn from the experience of our African American brethrens ? both negative and positive. It must be noted that despite the brutality that was perpetrated against them, and the negative outcome of enduring such oppression as mentioned above briefly ? they have also fought back with true spirit of African warriors. Against all odds they struggled and are struggling to reclaim their stolen identity. It is also worth mentioning that had it not been for their selfless struggle and sacrifices we would not have enjoyed the relative freedom that we do today in the US.

I hope I have made a good case on the imperativeness of preserving one?s identity through knowledge of self and history. We should realize that our existence as a people hinges with our ability to successfully transmit the Harari heritage to the younger generation. We must realize that we are in a unique and precarious condition in our history ? since substantial numbers of our people live outside of Harar. With the continuous flight of our people to the West, and the relatively poor job we have done/are doing in transmitting our language and history ? I am afraid within a generation or two the Harari culture might be no more or at least will be severely diminished ? unless, of course, we take drastic actions to avert such an eventuality.

There was an article that was given to me by a dear friend of mine, Hajj Haroon, about six years ago. He cutout an article from a newspaper and mailed it to me. The article was about the plight of the Armenians and their quest to survive as a people in the US. This article alarmed me so much. It made me realize if people that were much more numerous, organized, who had daily newspapers, cultural centers, churches and private schools in their own language can be assimilated within 50 years ? what would be our fait given that we are much more smaller in number, very disorganized, no private schools or daily newspapers, and on top of that we have a tendency to bicker over every little issue? This article was an eye opener for me.

I saved this article for many years, but lost it last year during a meeting in Dallas when the Harari delegation came to town. I was very saddened with the lose of the article. However, Alhamduli?llah, after searching for it over the internet for several long hours ? I found it. I recommend that every Harari should read this article, and deeply reflect upon it. Please click here to read the article.

For Hararis to even have a slight chance of averting the lose of our heritage in the west, the Harari communities, afochas, as well as individuals need to play a very active role. As we can clearly see from the article our efforts to preserve our identity in the west will be an uphill battle. We must accept that fact. However, we must never give up the fight. We must analyze why other communities have failed, and learn from their mistakes ? if any. We will all have to exert enormous effort and devote countless amount of time to preserve our heritage. We need to get into a serious dialogue with one another, and avoid senseless bickering that is besetting our community and work towards achieving unity.

We have wasted and are wasting precious time that we don?t have with endless arguments and rivalries about God knows what. In some cities the dispute has reached to such a level where they can?t even agree to celebrate the two Eids and Mawlid in one place, splitting the children from one another. For our community that is facing existential question, such actions and behaviors are unacceptable. I say to our community leaders that we need to be wise when it comes to the issue of unity and working together. We have to remember this is not about us. This is about the continuation of the Harari people into the next generation. This is about the children. This is about Harar. We should never lose focus of that.

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing, as Steven Covey ? the author of ?The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People? stated.

For how long will we lose focus of the prize ? our children ? and continue to go in this foolish path of bashing one another, while the children are yearning for us to unite? They are asking why is Eid being celebrated in two different locations, why can?t they be with their friends? They don?t understand what all the bickering and fuss is all about. I ask the community/afocha leaders ? is it fair what we are doing to the children?

As I have mentioned earlier, it is tough as is in the west trying to preserve ones heritage without the adults splitting the children. If we let the children develop friendship, perhaps one who is stronger with the Harari language could help those who are weaker. Perhaps one who is strong with history can help the others who are not. Perhaps also with friendship they built as children, there might be marriages and weddings for the community in the future.

Why do we insist on making it harder than it needs to be on the young ones? Why can?t the leaders in the community sit down and solve their problems like adults ? if not for their own sake- for the sake of the children and for the sake of Harar. A good leader is one that can manage to bridge the gaps that exist within the community, and not one that keeps on repeating the reason why there was split in the first place. The leaders need to be proactive and constantly work towards achieving unity, and if they fail on that duty, I believe they should move over and hand the leadership to those who are willing or capable of bringing unity. The repeating of the same position a thousand times and incriminating the other party as the cause for disunity will do no good for the children in either side. It is like br. Abdulwasi Durri said in one of his tercet poem,

So which one of us is aqil if we are repeating the same thing over and over and over again? We need to swallow our egos, lick our wounds, burry our pride, and be united for the sake of the children like we have never been united before. I take this opportunity to appeal to all Harari communities to intensify their search for unity and to find a mechanism to resolve their disputes in logical and just manner. Sometimes going into a binding arbitration, after the two contending parties choose people they can trust, might be the only way to attain a solution.

Isn?t the survival of our heritage worth the extra effort for sake of unity? Aren?t our children worth the effort?

If certain group of people has been wronged in the past, we need to forgive one another and move on. We shouldn?t hold past misdeeds of one party to harm our children or our national cause. We need to focus on grander issues than making one another the issue, and regarding each other as mortal enemies. We are all Muslims, and we should have a kinder and gentler spot for our fellow believers.

The Prophet (SAW) even forgave those who kicked him out of his native land, prosecuted him and his loved ones, and killed his closest relatives and companions. Islam is a religion of peace and mercy. Let?s hold on to its higher principle, and avoid holding unnecessary grudge toward one another to the determent of our society and ourselves. Otherwise, within a generation or two our children and grandchildren will only be able to say that they descended from a place called Harar, with no real connection to the place.

I don?t mean to make it sound as if all Hararis in the West are constantly bickering. Of course we had our successful and shining moments, and I don?t mean to belittle them. However, much work remains to be done for the sake of unity and I hope new efforts will be exerted to that end.

Hararis in Harar

To our people in Harar ? I would like to say thank you for just being in Harar. We know the conditions are not as easy over there. We know there are educational and economic challenges. We know there is lack of water and proper swage system. Yet many of you have stuck it out due to your deep love of Harar. Your being in Harar is preserving Harar for all of us that are outside of Harar. Thank you once again.

We know the weight of the responsibility must be heavy on your shoulders, and should not attempt to carry it by yourselves. There are many challenges in Harar that must be addressed in terms of building masjids and schools, or in terms of assisting the needy and the orphans.

I have no doubt that many of our people would have helped had they known about the poor condition of the schools or about the plight of our people in Korome. A single letter to a community or afocha leaders might have sufficed. However, there is no communication and there is no appeal coming out of Harar. How are we suppose to know what is going on? I urge our people in Harar to be organized and to work in transparent manner. Let us know when there are major problems that we can assist you on ? and insha?Allah we will make our best effort to meet the challenges.

The Harari Regional Government

Before I complete my log, I would also like to express my deepest appreciation for the current administration for its proactive action taken in terms of cementing agreement with our Silte people, as well as reaching agreements with the Somali Regional State.

In the past I use to wrongly believe that we Hararis were a tiny minority. Like they say with age comes wisdom. I no longer hold that belief. We are like a candle that has been illuminating all around us, while melting in the process ? as the proverb goes.

We have melted or assimilated into different nations and nationalities across Ethiopia. We need to revive those links, and work towards building a strong Harar. Insha?Allah it is within reach if we are united and work together as one.

With this I conclude my log on my travel. If there are any points you need clarification on, whether it is on this or any other posting please feel free to do so. I would like to thank all those who participated in this discussion.

Brother Ilalami, thank you for your thoughtful insight and your discussion of the 1980?s experience. I read it once again after I came to the States. It is very touching. Perhaps more than anything else, the experience of that era might be what is shaping the current Harari politics in the diaspora.

As for the Korome issue ? I am still waiting for those in Harar to register the NGO. I was told it would be done while I was there. I hope they will get it done soon.

Last edited by malasay on Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
gishta

Dear Malasay,

Thank you for your spirit and for educating us. May God reward you fi'dunia welakhira.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Ilalami

gishta wrote:
Dear Malasay,

Thank you for your spirit and for educating us. May God reward you fi'dunia welakhira.

Slamat Malasay,

What can I say brother, gishta, said it all. ?Thank you for your spirit and for educating us. May God reward you fi'dunia welakhira.?

I learn much more about Harar and Harari, honest information about our country and have something to get my kids busy to read and learn about our country and heritage.

Thanks Brother!! Well done!

Ilalami
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Ilalami wrote:
gishta wrote:
Dear Malasay,

Slamat Malasay,

What can I say brother, gishta, said it all. ?Thank you for your spirit and for educating us. May God reward you fi'dunia welakhira.?

I learn much more about Harar and Harari, honest information about our country and have something to get my kids busy to read and learn about our country and heritage.

Thanks Brother!! Well done!

Ilalami

Dear Gisghta and Ilalami,

Thank you both for your kind words. Insha'Allah we will all learn fron one another, and pass our heritage to the new generation ... as well as many more generations to come.

w/peace,
Malasay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote
shahida1

salaamun alaykum wr wb!
(ok this is late...)

MABROOOOOOOOOOOOK, bil rafah wal baneen! Mr. Admin Very Happy
on behalf of all kenyans (im their ambassador to this site Very Happy ) we wish u a wonderful new life , may the prophet Muhammad (SAW) and his blessed family be the guiding light of your family too!

hehe, i sure hadn't visited this site in a while (sigh life is so hectic) but alhamdulillah, im back. il try not to do another disappearing act Very Happy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

shahida1 wrote:
salaamun alaykum wr wb!
(ok this is late...)

MABROOOOOOOOOOOOK, bil rafah wal baneen! Mr. Admin Very Happy
on behalf of all kenyans (im their ambassador to this site Very Happy ) we wish u a wonderful new life , may the prophet Muhammad (SAW) and his blessed family be the guiding light of your family too!

hehe, i sure hadn't visited this site in a while (sigh life is so hectic) but alhamdulillah, im back. il try not to do another disappearing act Very Happy

Shukran and ameen to your duas. Yes, I thought we lost our only kenyan on this forum. Welcome back!

malasay.com Forum Index » Al Harari in Ethiopia