login.php?sid=1a0622ed3f46823c60555dc0c7da4c5e profile.php?mode=register&sid=1a0622ed3f46823c60555dc0c7da4c5e faq.php?sid=1a0622ed3f46823c60555dc0c7da4c5e memberlist.php?sid=1a0622ed3f46823c60555dc0c7da4c5e search.php?sid=1a0622ed3f46823c60555dc0c7da4c5e index.php?sid=1a0622ed3f46823c60555dc0c7da4c5e

malasay.com Forum Index » Al Harari in Ethiopia » Journey to Harar - 2006 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

On Sunday March 20th, 2006 I have fullfilled half of my eman. I did my zagan/nikkah yesterday. Yabordakhu. Please remember me in your duas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
Ilalami

malasay wrote:

On Sunday March 20th, 2006 I have fullfilled half of my eman. I did my zagan/nikkah yesterday. Yabordakhu. Please remember me in your duas.

Mabrook, Mabrook.. Mabrook. Major change in life.

Yamajakhu. Azew Afet wa Waldibe, Akhakhuw Afet wa dinat be Goyte yasheelmakhu!!!

Cheers,

Ilalami
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
gishta

I thought Ilalami's discussion needs its own topic. Too important. I responded to it in general discussion, 1980's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
gishta

Malasay!

Congratulatons! no wonder you are scarce these days. Its all good. Mabruk. May all your wishes come true.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
ahaa
Site Admin

malasay wrote:

congratulation. it is he begining of new life i will make dua for you.

A.adus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
samish

malasay wrote:

Masha-Allah alf mabruk, Insha-Allah yemajekhu, Deen dinet, Afetwa waldibe yeshelmekhu.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
gishta

All those in favor malasay posting pictures from his wedding say yeahhhh
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
zaki sherif

Mohammed,
Way to go. Alahu umri berekaw yestekhuma, Dinbe, Wedibe, Dinetbe wa afetbe yeshelmekhu.

my vote is yes for the images of the wedding.
biqluma sesnu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
eliaso

I just want to echo the congrutulations on your marriage

As they say in harar, "biqaluma sesnu"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
Hajj D.A. Haroon

Dear Mohammad (Mhdah)
Sallams to you and Yours!
Al-Hamdullillah! It brings great joy to my heart to hear of your journey -it is the answer to several years of intense planning and perseverance on your part.
Malasay is your first born child -aptly named.
Surely Allah will bless the re-birth of Harar as a living breathing entity, with a place in the modern world -standing tall and independant in the noonday sun for the whole world to marvel at.
"May the Mirror of Malasay reflect clearly what faces look into it!"

Peace to you and Yours!
Hajji Haroon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:22 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

On sunday March 26th a group of friends and family went to Uma Koda and Shaikh Abdulkadir Geylani for the annual ziyara and we spent the whole day and night there.

There were many people from different ethnic backgrounds in attendance, all praying to God and showering the Holy Prophet (SAW) with praise in unison the whole day and night.

The Zikr and drumbeats went throughout the night with different groups of people in different quarters praising the Holy Prophet (SAW). The mixtures of the drumbeats, chanting, and the friendly atmosphere that prevailed among all that were in attendance was a spiritually uplifting experience.

The ceremony was completed at the dawn prayers. We headed home after we prayed our subh prayers. Some walked to the city of Harar by foot ? approximately 1.5 to 2 hrs walk, depending on the pace of the walk? and I suppose longer if someone walked real slow.

Our group took the easy way out and we headed to Harar in a mini-van.

If one visits Harar, I strongly recommend that they do so around this time (last sunday of the month of Safar) so they can experience this event.

I didn?t take my video camera with me to this event, since I didn?t want it to interfere with my spiritual experience. Come to think about it, there was nobody there with a video camera. I guess you will just have to go there and see for yourselves.

Last edited by malasay on Sun May 14, 2006 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:33 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

On Monday March 27th i went to Addis. Insha'Allah i'll be back in Harar next week and complete the unfinished projects that i have.

Several of you have emailed with suggestions and proposals about helping our people in korome. My apologies for not responding on time. Insha'Allah I'll be discussing this issue with several concerned parties and come-up with a concrete plan of action. Please give me some time.

I would also like to thank all those that wished me well in my nikkah be it on malasay, over the phone or private email.

Last edited by malasay on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Hajj D.A. Haroon wrote:
Dear Mohammad (Mhdah)
Sallams to you and Yours!
Al-Hamdullillah! It brings great joy to my heart to hear of your journey -it is the answer to several years of intense planning and perseverance on your part.
Malasay is your first born child -aptly named.
Surely Allah will bless the re-birth of Harar as a living breathing entity, with a place in the modern world -standing tall and independant in the noonday sun for the whole world to marvel at.
"May the Mirror of Malasay reflect clearly what faces look into it!"

Peace to you and Yours!
Hajji Haroon

Dear Hajj Haroon,

Thank you for your well wishes and ameen for your duas. I would also like to express my thanks to you for your continous support of Harar over the years.

I pray that you will one day write about your conversion to Islam and your activities working with somalis during the de-colonization period and list of the people you worked with.

Insha'Allah we will do interview on that topic sometimes soon as well.

with peace and duas,
Mohammed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Well, I haven?t entered a log in a while, and the dates seem to have gone by extremely fast. What I did during this period of time seems to have been meshed up together, and it seems my work schedule has considerably (but understandably) slowed down. Therefore, I will list some of the major things I did during this time including the dates, and the others I will only mention the task.

On April 7th we headed back to our beloved Harar from Addis.

On Monday April 10th the birth of our holy Prophet (SAW) or Mawlud was celebrated in a very colorful way throughout the holy city of Harar. I managed to video tape one of the events.

Celebration of the Birth of the Holy Prophet in Harar

To see partial video of the Nabi Mawlid celebration click here.

I toured the Rimbaud House with two Hararis from Addis who were touring the place. The tour was given by br. Shakib who is well versed in Harari culture and history. Rimbaud house is named after the famous French poet Arthur Rimbaud who lived in Harar more than 100 years ago. It has a gallery of historic pictures of Harar. It is a must see place if you visit Harar.

Thereafter, I toured the Harari Cultural House (Ada Gar) and video taped Harari artifacts. It is also a must see place if you visit Harar.

Ada Gar: Decorated with Harari cultural artifacts

Ada Gar: More decorations and arrows which use to
be utilized to fend of against enemies.

Ada Gar: Typical Harari household stairs, which looks
similar to the ones found in Korome.

Ada Gar: Relgious manuscripts with their accessories.

Ada Gar: Harari cultural clothing on display.

Ada Gar: Aflala with aflalufa

I also had the opportunity to meet with the historian Ahmed Zakaria, and we made an appointment and I was able to video tape an interview with him.

On Saturday April 15th I met with Shaikh Ahmed Abdullahi (the Shaikh of Harar). When I went to his place he was teaching the youth (both brothers and sisters) proper way of reciting the Holy Quran. Masha?Allah he is very patient person. May Allah give him long life.

I video taped the teaching session, and then Shaikh Abdullah recited a verse from the Quran. After that I asked him to send a message to Hararis abroad. Insha?Allah I?ll make the video tape available as soon as possible at Malasay.com. He emphasized the need for Hararis to support the Harari Regional State, and that we need to be thankful to those who gave us the opportunity to govern ourselves. He said he who is not thankful to others, will not be thankful to his Lord.

click here to watch video of Shaikh Ahmed teaching his students

Click here to watch Shaikh Ahmed recite the Holy Quran

click here to watch Shaikh Ahmed urging support for the Harari Regional State

I also met with the mayor of Harar, His Excellency Arif Mohammed, and we discussed the 2007 Harari Sports and Cultural Fest to be celebrated in Harar. Brother Farhan Idris sent a software, which can help in facilitating organizing such a massive event. I downloaded this software to some of the organizers, including the mayor. Thank you brother Farhan!

Insha?Allah I have two more days left in Harar. I am already starting to miss it.

Last edited by malasay on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:55 am; edited 7 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

My trip has come to an end. I am back in Texas trying to get back to the routines. From my stay in Harar to my trip back to Texas there have been several things that I have not logged into www.malasay.com. As the clock was ticking, it was a race to the finish line to do the things I have put off to the last minute.

Back to the log...

It was a pleasant surprise when my friend Farid Yahya of Bay Area called me to say he was in Ethiopia. I had extended my stay in Harar, and thus we made a rendezvous to meet there. When he came to the walled city, I introduced him to the many friends that I have made during my stay in Harar.

While in Harar Farid and I interviewed Gesi Abdusamed Idris about the formation of the Harari National League as well as the Harari Regional State. Farid is a graduate of Radio, Television, and Film (RTF) and thus his expertise and advice on these matters are always appreciated. Personally the interview with Gesi Abdusamed ranks among the best and enlightening ones that I have done while in Ethiopia. Gesi Abdusamed is articulate and to the point and has a rich background in history. Even after the interview was over Gesi Abdusamed, Farid and I had long hours of discussions on Harari matters. Time seemed to be like my mortal enemy ? I was left with a feeling of ? only if I had more time to spend in Harar.

Also, while in Harar I decided to videotape major market areas and the five gates of Harar. I took two days from my busy schedule to accomplish this task. I also videotaped the din agobara masjid and the exterior of the jum?a masjid among many other landscapes I filmed in Harar.

There is nothing without an end, except to the Almighty Allah ? who is independent of time and space. Thus it was time to bid farewell to the beloved Harar ? the city of awliyas on April 24th and I headed back to Addis Ababa. May Allah protect Harar from all her enemies, and make her blissful and prosperous. May the almighty unite her children all over the world so they can serve her with selfless love and devotion.

There is only about a week left in Addis Ababa before I headed back to the States. I knew I had to optimize my use of time if I am to accomplish the tasks I put forth for myself, as well as spend some time with my family. I wrote my weekly schedule and decided I have to stick to it no matter what. I planned I had to get everything done by Sunday April 30th so I can devote at least two full days to my nieces. However, the fact I came down with a cold didn?t help at all ? but there was no slowing down.

This year it seems like there are several artists who will be coming out with a new CD during the July event. I interviewed several of them, and insha?Allah will make it available on www.malasay.com soon. The artists I interviewed are as follows:

1. Hablul Band ? Atham, Garado, and Abdulhakim (the manager)
2. Yasmin
3. Ehsan
4. Abdulwasi & Shenaz
5. The Composer Salahadin Mohammed (Salai)

I said to myself, hmmm ? I started with politicians and ended up with artists. The reality is we need both artists and politicians to safeguard our culture and heritage. We can encourage our artists to come up with artistic works that adheres as much as possible to our religion and heritage. In my humble opinion, without the combination of the two, ? politics and art ? our likelihood of survival as a people will diminish. Therefore, I believe we need to encourage our artists to come up with creative and original work, and we need to support them by purchasing their Cds and by not copying it for free.

However, the artists were not to have the last word. I still had to interview Prof. Lapiso and Gesi Abdulkarim, who translated the book Fath al Habash to the Harari language under the title of ?Waraig Zaman.? Both these distinguished gentlemen discussed the role of Imam Ahmed in Ethiopian context. These interviews were also very dynamic and educational for me. Learning the true history of Imam Ahmed will make any Ethiopian proud of their heritage, particularly Hararis.

To watch part of the interview with Dr. Lapiso regarding Imam Ahmed
click here, and to watch his discussion regarding the historic Battle of Shumbura Kuri click here

Next in my interview list was Gesi Abdulwasi Abdi Abor, the current chairman of the Addis Ababa branch of the Harari National League. He was among those Hararis that were arrested in 1964, and sentenced to prison and flogging in public. However, the flogging was cancelled when Hararis protested in large number against the flogging. In short the Hararis never rested in their quest for freedom and justice since their defeat in the battle of Chelenqo. And insha?Allah our struggle will continue.

Last but not least I interviewed Engineer Mohammed Yusuf Oumer. This is a part of history that I was not fully aware of, and thus was very educational to me. Eng. Mohammed witnessed the atrocities committed on Hararis during the Kulub movement and decided he can no longer stay in Harar and thus decided to migrate to Egypt in 1952 to get his education. His journey to Egypt was a fascinating one, which involved walking by foot from the Sudan to Egypt following the path of the Nile River.

When he got to Egypt there were 30 other Hararis in Egypt that went there to get their education. All in all there were more than 100 Hararis that completed their education in Egypt. They are known as ?Misra Jama? and after they completed their education they had a discussion about means to help the cause of Harar. Most decided to go back to Ethiopia and help Hararis and Muslims by reducing the bureaucratic red tapes for them, while others opted for armed struggle to lift the oppressive yoke that was resting on their head. Eng. Mohammed was among those who returned to Ethiopia.

Thus my interviews were over. However, my dreams of having two days for my nieces went out of the window. I did not have the opportunity to spend as much time as I wanted with my friends, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. I hope y?all understand it was nothing personal and that I was simply very busy. Insha?Allah I?ll make it up to y?all in the future. For now please accept my sincere apologies.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all those who assisted me in producing the various documentaries that I worked on while in Ethiopia - you are too numerous to mention so I?ll not attempt to list the names here.

Thank you all for your patience in reading my journal ? it has come to an end. However, insha?Allah I?ll write my analysis of my entire trip pretty soon.

Wasalaam,
Malasay Mohammed Al-Harari

Last edited by malasay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 pm; edited 3 times in total

malasay.com Forum Index » Al Harari in Ethiopia