login.php?sid=ea4459f268d255a0b7a6b431d2b8f718 profile.php?mode=register&sid=ea4459f268d255a0b7a6b431d2b8f718 faq.php?sid=ea4459f268d255a0b7a6b431d2b8f718 memberlist.php?sid=ea4459f268d255a0b7a6b431d2b8f718 search.php?sid=ea4459f268d255a0b7a6b431d2b8f718 index.php?sid=ea4459f268d255a0b7a6b431d2b8f718

malasay.com Forum Index » Al Harari in Ethiopia » Journey to Harar - 2006 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  View previous topic :: View next topic 
Journey to Harar - 2006
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Insha'Allah i'll keep you posted about my up-coming trip to Harar on this section of the forum. Stay tuned.

Last edited by malasay on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:49 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Insha'Allah I will be heading to Ethiopia tomorrow.

While in Ethiopia I plan to do documentary of the Ethiopian elections, among many other plans that i have.

If there is any information any of you need, please let me know and will do my best to provide it to you. My email is malasay@malasay.com

Last edited by malasay on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

I arrived in Addis Ababa on Sunday Jan. 29th. Monday was a down day for me. The jet lag was tough. For couple of days... i was wide awake around 3am. Now i have adjusted to the time.

On Tues January 31, 2006 I met with the Member of the Ethiopian parliament representing the Harari Regional State ? The Honorable Merwan Bedri, along with Khalil Kalaf and Muyhadin Ali Matari. We discussed several issues including the following:

? Concerns raised by Hararis in diaspora regarding HNL policies
? Ways to move forward in strengthening relationship between Hararis in diaspora and Ethiopia
? The plan that exists to forming a professional Harari Association in Ethiopia
? Need for accurate and timely flow of information between Hararis in Harar and the diaspora as means of working together effectively and avoiding inaccurate information.

Wed. Feb. 2, 2006

Met with Ato Negash Teklu, the general manager of Walta Information Center. We discussed various means of raising awareness among Ethiopians in diaspora the progresses that are being made by the nation in terms of advancements in democracy and building of infrastructures.

Ato Negash gave me a tour of WIC and I must say I was truly impressed with the facilities that they have. Thank you Ato Negash.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Insha'Allah the delegation from Toronto and I will meet with the President of the Harari Regional State, his excellency President Murad Abdulhadi and his full cabinet in about a week and a half. I will update you about the meeting, and we will try to make it available to all harari communities abroad.

Last edited by malasay on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Today I met with H.E. Mr. Fuad Ibrahim, the former President of the Harari Regional State. He is currently working at the Ministry of Education as a General Education State Minister.

We discussed various issues including the impressive progress that Ethiopia has undergone in the field of education since the current government has taken over. He gave me several informational booklets that shows the statistical data of the progresses that has been made.

We also discussed Harari issues in regards to HNL policies. H.E. Mr. Fuad Ibrahim said the current policy of HNL is the very same one that was advocated by him, and that he is in constant touch with the current President of the Harari Regional State and that they are working closely on Harari issues.

I also met with Mr. Fahmi Mawi and discussed the current political situation in Ethiopia, and the need for all progressive Ethiopians to work together for the advancement of the nation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

To those of you who requested my mobile number, i should get it by this time tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
mohyuya

Aselamu Alikum brother Mohammed Al-Harari (Mokshe)

It is always great to hear from you since you have great ideas and surprises. Thanks again for such a historic act that you are involved with. With this opportunity I just want to mention one thing that has always been in my mind.

Check with the harari officials if there is a way to establish Harari cultural center in harar. This center can incompass

1. Would be kind of Exhibition showing all Harari cultural materials

2. Would be the center for the flow information between Harar and the harari diaspora.

3. The center would have Library with all kinds of books
- Harari cultural books
- Scientific Reseach materials
- Internet access for the public
- Historic books, videos, tapes, cds.
- Relgious books, videos, tapes, cds, and so forth.

4. Harari Business informations
- Government business polices
- Regional business Networking magazines, or materials.

And so forth, that way most of the Hararies in the diaspora would have one contact center to participate according to their need and interest.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Mohammed Y. Idris
San Jose, CA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Dear br. Mohammed,

Thank you for your input. I will definetly present your proposal to the government officials in Harar. Your proposals, such as the displaying of Harari cultural materials, exists already both in government level (Ada gar) and individual level (Abdullahi Sherif).

However, i'll discuss this issue with them in detail and see if they could be merged or other arrangements could be made. I will post my findings here.

w/peace,
Mohammed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Amir abdulwahab wrote:
Asselamu alaikum Brother mohammed
wel come to ethiopia and Addis i as a new member to this list want to appreciate what you are doing.i want also meet you if possible .
Amir Abdulwahab

Thank you br. Amir. Glad to be home. I will call you and we will arrange a meeting.

w/peace,
Mohammed

Last edited by malasay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

My mobile number in ethiopia is 0911-70-38-34
and from the US it is 011-25-191-170-3834

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Today I met with the President of the Harari Regional State, H.E. Muard Abdulhadi, MP Merwan Bedir, along with brother abdurahim Malaq and Br. Fahmi Mawi.

We had an extensive discussion on how best to organize the Hararis in diaspora so we can all work towards the greater good of Harar and the Hararis. The discussion was very positive and productive. A complete guidline that is fair and transparent will be drafted soon, and should be available to all Hararis.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Insha'Allah (God willing) ... I will be driving to Harar today with my cousin.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

I made it to Harar in one piece on Feb. 16, 2006. I drove to Harar with my cousin. He drove from Addis Ababa to Assebe Teferi, and I drove from Assebe Teferi to Harar. I hit a goat slightly while driving up the hill. The goat was not hurt and managed to continue running.

So we decided to continue to drive. However, the lady that was looking after the goats screamed for help. A man appeared infront of us in a threatening manner with a rock in his hand. We had to stop the car. Me and my cousin didn't speak Oromo language so we were clueless as to what was being said. Luckily we had three passengers that did speak Oromo and thus they negotiated with them. Finally the goat was brought and examined. We all agreed no harm was done to it and we continued in our journey.

We reached the city of Harar safely around 4:30 pm. I don't think I will look at a goat in a roadway the same way again. You better watch out for them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Feb. 17 Magas Abdulrashid and I met Fahmi's wife at Joglah hospital.
http://www.malasay.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1312#1312

We also went to visit the house museum set up by Abdella Sherif. He really has an amazing collection. Simply amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
malasay
Site Admin

Feb. 18th

Early in the morning I visited family members. At 11:00 am Mohammed Sourour, Chairperson of HCO, and I along with Magas Abdurashid met with ziamana waldach executives. They gave us a review of how the organization started, their performance since their establishment, and their future plans.

Ziamana Waldach or Amana Children is a grassroots organization that strictly cares for the welfare of orphans in Harar. Currently they are caring for 20 orphans, and ensure that the children are clothed, fed, and properly educated.

Some of the children being sponsored by Ziamana Waldach. To the
left is Abdusamed Fandish, the treasurer for the organization.

The website for Amana Children, which is under construction, is http://www.amanakids.org

After the meeting Sourour, Magas, and I met with Elias and the Hon. Zeydan Bekri and ate lunch at ?Towfiq Sherif's Restaurant,? or simply known as "Menafasha" .... while there we met Gerado (one of the Hablul singers). We also met Abdulwasi Sherif, another Harari singer who resides in Addis.

Towfiq Sherif?s Restaurant serves delicious Harari foods ? including waqalim tibs, hulbat marakh, rice, and meats prepared in various ways. If you go to Harar, you must try this restaurant.

During our informal discussion over lunch Zeydan emphasized the need for the Harari public to actively participate in Harari affairs, and not to be spectators. He said the majority usually passes the buck, and that heavy burden usually rests on the shoulders of the few.

After lunch Sourour and I had a meeting with the Harari Youth Group. They gave us a summary of how they were formed, their accomplishments, their current conditions, and their future hopes. Both Sourour and I emphasized the need for Harari youth around the globe to link with each other in order to preserve and promote our culture and language.

We all agreed that the relationship between the youth groups will be beneficial to Hararis in Harar as well as the Hararis in the diaspora. Those in Harar can provide cultural and linguistic assistance, while those in the diaspora can provide latest technology to promote our culture, language and history.

The youth group pledged to be proactive in contacting Harari youth groups around the world and to cement a solid relationships with them.

Anyone that is interested to contact the youth group in Harar might do so by emailing Elias Abdulmalik at eliasabubeker@yahoo.com

After our meeting with the Youth Group, Sourour, Magas and I headed to Abdella Sherif?s private museum. What an amazing collection he has. From old Quranic manuscripts to historic documents including Kulub documents. Also, Harari coins, household items, swords, etc. It is beyond description. You must see it to believe it.

Mohammed Sourour (L) discussing about the Museum
with Abdella Sherif (R). I am sitting in front.

Abdella Sherif showing Sourour a hand written
manuscript of the Quran.

A beautiful handwritten Harari religious manuscript

Abdella Sherif holding ancient Harari coinage

To see part 1 of the video of Sherif Private Museum click here..

To see part 2 of the video of Sherif Private Museum click here..

After taking some pictures, and marveling the amazing collections of the museum, we headed to see the Hyena man around 7:30 pm. We saw the Hyena man feeding the Hyenas with his hands, and sometimes with his mouth. I counted more than 10 Hyenas running around us in all directions. It is a site to behold, where wild beasts can interact in peace with human beings. Maybe there is a lesson in this for those who reflect. If such wild beasts can live and interact with humans in such manner, why can?t we humans do the same with one another? In the words of Rodney King --- "Why can?t we all get along?"

Both Sourour and I fed the hyenas with our hands, while Magas shot the video. One doesn?t feel threatened being around them. I noticed the hyenas don?t make eye contacts with people. They are just focused on the food, and thus one can feel safe being around them. It is a strange feeling.

Pack of Hayenas waiting to be fed

The reporter Amir Aqil also accompanied us during our excursion to see the hyenas. He gave introduction about how the hyena feeding tradition started, and then interviewed the hyena man, tourists, as well as br. Sourour for the video documentary that we were diong. God willing I will post it on Malasay one day.

After feeding the hyenas we headed to a mountain top to video tape Harar at night. We concluded the night by eating dinner at Aw Waday.

Harar at night

Last edited by malasay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:55 pm; edited 11 times in total

malasay.com Forum Index » Al Harari in Ethiopia